Author Topic: Higher Frequencies for High Speed 5G Network  (Read 2694 times)

wiredlife

• View Profile
Higher Frequencies for High Speed 5G Network
« on: June 19, 2017, 06:41:31 PM »
The reason why high frequencies (24GHz to 86GHz) are being actively considered by the ITU and industry is that it will provide big blocks of clean spectrum, which will enhance the performance of 5G. However, the challenge of high frequencies is twofold: 1) a very high density of micro cells will be required, making wide-area outdoor coverage extremely expensive, and 2) signal interference risk is high.

The US strongly supports high frequencies, and in fact has reserved spectrum at 28GHz, 37GHz and 39GHz for 5G services. The US
believes they have achieved technological breakthrough in resolving the signal interference issue (i.e., millimeter-wave technology), and such high frequencies will serve super hot spots (i.e., super high traffic volume and high speed requirement in small, concentrated areas)
most efficiently.

Commercialization of 5G Network Gears
We believe the most likely longer-term scenario is that many countries will deploy different combinations of low, mid and high frequencies for 5G, depending on spectrum availability and whether governments/carriers emphasize super hot spots or lower-cost wide area coverage. Therefore, we expect 5G equipment (i.e., handsets and base stations) will need to be able to handle a much wider range of frequencies than currently, making modulation, antenna and RF technologies even more important than in 4G.